Selway Public Park and Boat Ramp
a new park on the Beaverhead river!
One our community's prized resources is the Beaverhead River, but we have few opportunities to access it easily and safely! BTC, FWP and MDT are partnering to bring you an exciting opportunity to do so by transforming a primitive area into a beautiful public park with river access! Scroll to the bottom to see updates!
History of the project:
- The Beaverhead Trails Coalition received generous grant funding from the LOR Foundation, as well as in-kind contributions from FWP, R.E. Miller, Pivot Plus, and community support from UMW, YMCA, Barrett Hospital, City of Dillon and Beaverhead County.
- The funding is to reclaim Montana Department of Transportation-owned land along the Beaverhead River to create a public park with fishing access.
- The Montana FW&P stepped up to hold the recreation permit as part of their national Fishing Access Site (FAS) network, and provide landscape architectural support for the site plan.
- The park and public fishing access site is adjacent the junction of Laknar Lane and Selway Drive along the Beaverhead River.
- The new design consists of river access and boat ramp, a trail along re-vegetated native riparian habitat with interpretive signs, a footbridge, picnic table(s), and parking for cars and vehicles with boat trailers.
Here are a few great shots of the area before improvement!
June 2018: The park is near completion with trails, picnic tables and footbridge. Some topsoil has been placed, weeds sprayed and trees areas cleaned. Construction was done by R.E. Miller.
Pictures of the newly constructed park (May 2018):
We are now in the reclamation phase by installing some native grass. The seed mix was purchased from Circle S in Three Forks, MT and consists of a native prairie grass mix.
The seeded areas will need to be watered for 20-30 minutes each for the next few weeks and this is where we need your help!
It's a lot of work for only a few volunteers so we are recruiting help to spread the load. Even if it is only for a couple of days, it would really help us! Please help us make this public space successful and beautiful! Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you'd like to help.
UPDATE JULY 2018
Due to the recent rains, a lot of our seed was washed away! Here are some pictures from our recent reseeding on July 3, 2018. We still need help to keep this new seed growing!
Thank you so much for your contribution!
Update July 25th, 2018
Due to the size of this project, we will need additional help! Here are a few ways you can help:
Donate! We have a good start but will need additional funding to complete it. This could be general or in-kind donations
For more information on the LOR Foundation, go their website.
Update July 28th, 2018
Thank you RE Miller for your help with the post replacement!